Thursday, October 2, 2014

Library Gems Of The Week

I am finding it bittersweet as my kids truly blossom into independent readers.  I get such joy out of seeing the sincere love of reading that they have all developed, but...  Now that my youngest is beginning to read chapter books, I find myself savoring with renewed vigor our daily reading of picture books.  With the kids off at school most days, then piano lessons and soccer taking up many after school hours, there is little time left to leisurely enjoy reading together.

Yesterday was grandparents day at my kids' new elementary school.  Once the grandparent luncheon was complete (which was lots of fun!), the kids were allowed to come home early from school with us.  We made sure that math, spelling and piano was completed, then my youngest and I made ourselves comfy on the big bed with a pile of books.  Boy, was it fulfilling to us both.  I found myself cognizant of the reality that this sweet cuddle time spent sharing a good book may be winding down sometime in the not too distant future.  And it is even more poignant as I snuggle in with my kids to read a good book together during a sunny afternoon vs. 9:00 at night when we all struggle to keep our eyes open to finish a single book.  Wish there were more daylight hours that we could spend together.

As I love to discover good books, I thought it would be fun to share what I consider to be excellent library finds periodically.  So, here goes with this week's library of gems:

Picture books for elementary aged kiddos:

Feeding The Sheep by Leda Schubert
The Wolves Are Back by Jean Craighead George
From The Good Mountain: How Gutenberg Changed The World by James Rumford
The Treasure by Uri Shulevitz



For me:

Losing The Garden: The Story Of A Marriage by Laura Waterman - be prepared for tears as you read this book.  Helps to create understanding around the experience of marriage to a spouse with depression who ultimately takes his own life.  Laura is my neighbor and she walks by my house everyday.  She is one of the kindest, gentlest, most thoughtful people I have met.  We have enjoyed fruits and veggies from her current garden down the street in our new village.


5 comments:

  1. I love reading to my little man, and I look forward to the days when we sit side by side on the sofa each reading our own books.

    Your book sounds like a wonderful read, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Kim - it will be wonderful to sit in shared space reading near one another...

      Delete
  2. I love story time; especially when we find a quiet moment during the day and all the kids curl up on the sofa with me; I know I'm going to miss it when they grow up too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys for your, this, informative blog post. I liked it very much. I hope more from you in near future to make my day.

    Best Portable Air Compressor of 2017

    Air Compressor The Most Versatile Pieces of Equipment

    ReplyDelete